11.15.2007

Strong is an understatement

Over the last few months, I've come to realize something. No, scratch that. I've come to understand something, or "dig it," as Ryan would say.

I am surrounded by strong women.

I have two kick ass grandmothers, both who have gone through their own personal struggles and both who are very different from one another. I also have a fantastic group of women as friends -- all who are doing what they want and going after their dreams. And not putting up with shit in the meantime. They're also all very supportive and loving. Generally, just good human beings.

I guess this all dawned on my yesterday, after Ryan and I visited my grandma in the hospital and was with my parents having dinner in North Kansas City at a place called Chappell's. We were all discussing my grandma and her health and how terribly ironic it was that she had a stroke that limited her ability to speak. My grandma is quite the talker, so it all seems like a cruel joke. But, thankfully, her stroke didn't limit her ability to smile or laugh -- which seems like a nice compromise to the whole not being able to communicate thing. Anyways, after dinner, I took a trip to the ladies' room. Now, the entire restaurant is filled with all of this incredible sports memorabilla. And the women's restroom was no different. It was filled with all of these cool, old pictures of women excelling in sport. Everyone from Billie Jean King to the Rockford Peaches were featured.

Impressed and awe inspired by this shrine to cool women, I started to think about the strong women in my life. Sure, they may have never won a Wimbledon title or pitched a professional baseball game, but they all rock. From defining themselves at 75 years old to living an authentic life to surviving cancer twice and a stroke, I feel quite lucky to know them. And, I'm happy to report that my grandma was released from the hospital this evening.

In honor of all women's awesomeness, I've added the below photo. Here's three of the best women I know!


3 comments:

Tish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tish said...

ah girl...(wiping tears) i do believe that's the pot calling the kettle polka dotted. i love you lots and wish i could give you a hug right now!

Erin said...

You're rocking and rolling in your new blog outlet...leaving myspace has treated you well!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin