12.03.2007

Bah Humbug

I love the holidays. I love Christmas. I love cookies, and trees, and candy canes, and mistletoe. I love it all.

Expect secret Santa at work. I HATE secret Santa at work.

Every year I get roped into randomly drawing someone’s name who I know nothing about, only to try to attempt to find $5 gifts that delight them every week until Christmas when I reveal the $10 grand finale gift. I usually ask the chosen one’s friends what they might like. Chocolate or gummies? Coffee or tea? Wine or scotch? I painstakingly toil over those presents. And in return – each gosh darn year – I get crap, complete and utter crap. Best Choice cocoa from Wal-Mart, a Christmas decoration circa 1987, the most intense lilac hand lotion you’ll ever smell, a yellowed candle that’s obviously been in storage for at least a year…the list of cruddy gifts go on.


I’m not delusional; I’m sure the gift I laboriously shop for isn’t always a hit. But I don’t just give out what’s laying around in my house. I spend the $3-$5 and get something nice, that’s usable. And I put some effort into it.

This year, I will not be thwarted by coworkers who call me Scrooge or can’t understand why I’m not in the holiday spirit. Goddammit, I am in the holiday spirit. Christmas is a time of thought and caring – not re-gifting your rubbish to me!

Phew. I feel better.

2 comments:

Tish said...

ah i got suckered in this year : ( i feel your pain.

that cartoon is HILARIOUS! ha!

Erin said...

Never did Secret Santa at work. Who wants to get stuck buying Swiss Miss Christmas presents? No thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin